The other day as I was sitting at my computer doing homework, my phone started vibrating. The caller ID said it was my sister so I answered and said hello. However, instead of getting a response I heard the noises that are common in my sister's household. I started thinking that maybe it was a butt dial until I heard my two and half year old niece say "hello!” That’s when I realized she was probably playing with my sister's iPhone and called me. After I realized this conversation wasn't going anywhere I hung up the phone. This isn’t the only time this has happened and as a loving aunt I definitely do not mind the accidental phone calls it just boggles my mind that a toddler knows the basic operation of a cell phone.
I am sure my sisters felt the same way about me. Due to the fact that they are 12 and 13 years older than I, they remember getting their first microwave, which is something I feel like I’ve always known how to use. They also didn’t get their first cell phones until they were in college while I got mine in 7th grade.
As technology continues to evolve it is becoming the norm for every day activities especially with children. Instead of playing outside kids are playing video games. Instead of learning to read with books children now know how to use all of the Leap Frog Learning toys. The age at which children receive their first cell phone or laptop is decreasing. The question of whether this is a good or bad development is up for debate it just shocks me whenever I see a 7 year old with their very own iPhone 4.
I can completely relate to what you're blogging about. As a matter of fact, the other day when I was babysitting my little cousin I experienced something quite similar. Not much older than two years in age, I gave him a few of his toys to play with. He had a few legos, a few toy cars, and a transformer or two. As I sat on the couch and watched him, I pulled out my phone to text and at one point in time was even using my laptop. During those times, he wanted nothing to do with me or his toys. He simply wanted my MacBook and cellphone. Kids and technology these days!
ReplyDelete